The fundamental mission of ICAN is to provide a voice for Idahoans committed to progressive social change and to develop the power necessary to create those changes. We are dedicated to the following principles:
- Empowerment of disenfranchised people and development of new leadership. We recognize that empowerment may mean different things to each of us. However, we share a commitment to developing community, acquiring and using skills, reinforcing active involvement, developing a common sense of responsibility and taking action for change.
- Everyone is welcome to participate – we are steadfastly dedicated to diversity.
- A stable, membership-driven funding base.
- The democratic process within and outside the organization.
- Non-violent action in the spirit of Gandhi and Martin Luther King, Jr. These activities may include direct action, rallies, lobbying, public education research, street theater or community meetings.
- ICAN’s members elect the ICAN Board of Directors, which sets policy for the organization.